Creating Innovative and Genuine Opportunities for People with Disabilities or Disadvantages to Support Their Community Participation
Private Pay - Partners for Care at Home
For individuals who have sufficient assets to pay for the services they need in order to stay at home.
- They choose who will work with the client
- They will be the managing employer, so they will write a job description, train the staff on the needs of the client and supervise the staff.
- They send in timesheets for the hours worked by that staff along with a check, to cover the cost of the payroll plus fees
- Is the employer of record for that caregiving staff, assuming all liability
- We complete a background check, verify citizenship, issue payroll checks, withhold and file employment taxes, issue W-2’s, provide Workers’ Compensation and unemployment
- We support the client/family in their relationship with the staff, i.e., we mediate, etc.
Just like publicly funded individuals, the private pay folks:
- Want to avoid institutionalization
- Want to hire people who speak their language and cook their native foods
- Want to hire people they trust – family, friends, neighbors
- Want to get help at non-traditional times (e.g., evenings, weekends, early morning)
- Want more control over the services they get and who provides that service
- Are not getting the help they really need
- Are dissatisfied with high turnover of agency workers
- Live in a rural area and cannot find services needed through a traditional agency
But why use a fiscal management agency rather than pay these caregiving staff out-of-pocket?
- By using this option, paying for care with a fiscal management agency, payment to the care provider will stand up to a Medicaid look-back should the client spend down their own money and become eligible for Medical Assistance
- Using a fiscal management agency will comply with all of the IRS guidelines for reporting wages and paying taxes
- A fiscal management agency will accurately report the dollars that are spent on care to family members. This greatly reduces the financial exploitation, or accusations of financial exploitation within the family, that could potentially occur
- Private pay can be set up with all of the same quality safeguards as Medicaid services
The private pay client/family: